The STAR Sales Management Training and Development Survey Report shows that their is a major disconnect between the importance organization put on sales manager skills and how they support those skills with on going development.
The survey shows that less than 50% of companies are investing in key sales management skills development.
Many of the sales leaders who are investing in sales management training are getting a very limited impact. The challenge is they don’t understand why.
Traditional Sales Management Training FAILS to deliver ROI
The reasons why 1-2 day in class sales management training is ineffective is that it lacks the following:
- Pre and post-training skill assessment.
- Post training reinforcement. We all know that 90% of the learning’s, if not reinforced, are lost within 30 days.
- Post training support from the next level of sales management.
- Post training accountability.
- Pull through tools to help the sales manager apply their newly learned skills.
When it comes to sales management training, we realise that sales managers work remotely and have different needs than other managers.
Leadership thought leader Mike Myatt in his article #1 The #1 Reason Why Leadership Development Fails – Forbes
Don’t train leaders, coach them, mentor them, disciple them, and develop them, but please don’t attempt to train them.
If what you desire is a robotic, static thinker – train them. If you’re seeking innovative, critical thinkers – develop them.